Modern e-commerce companies do their best to provide the best quality of service while keeping labor costs to a minimum. Machine learning technology opens new opportunities for them to eliminate old and ineffective services and solutions. According to the latest data gathered at Forrester, companies will invest more in emerging technologies that use machine learning in 2024.
Table Of Contents:
Why Use Machine Learning In E-Сommerce?
Modern e-commerce companies are racing to get their websites equipped with advanced AI solutions as fast as possible. Machine learning technology allows these products to converse with all customers, like actual company employees. They can transform the e-commerce industry thanks to several features.
- Better request comprehension. Sophisticated AI solutions comprehend buyer requests, providing better product matches through knowledge of colors, brand names, and languages.
- Intuitive customer ranking. Modern artificial intelligence models collect client behavior data to create unique customer rankings. They allow machine-learning e-commerce products to make suggestions based on a product’s popularity and supply and demand situations.
- Streamlined data gathering. E-commerce businesses use AI products to gather data from product reviews, customer actions, and purchases. This information lets AI models adapt to market and customer behavior in real-time.
- Conversational sales. ML-based chatbots guide users through human-like conversations, letting them find the best options and take their time with the shopping experience.
- Multimedia shopping. Companies use AI apps to provide clients with text, images, and video product descriptions. Customers utilize images and speech to search for items.
- Individual approach. AI solutions offer a personalized experience for new and recurring clients when browsing websites, seeing recommendations, and going to the checkout.
- Intuitive merchandising. Modern technology allows merchandisers to focus on crucial decisions while e-commerce machine learning tools handle mundane tasks.
- Scientific insights. AI models continuously learn and improve through texts and A/B tests to provide practical information. These algorithms show e-commerce companies what works and what doesn’t.
E-Commerce Technology Trends 2024
In the coming year, the digital consumer base will continue to grow along with the demand for more versatile virtual helpers. E-commerce companies should monitor these developments to compete successfully in this changing landscape.
- Artificial Intelligence
The trend of investing in AI solutions will likely continue in 2024. In the past year, their global e-commerce market reached $5.81 billion. The latest Precedence Research forecasts predict this figure will hit $22.60 billion by 2032. These solutions help automate and improve various company processes and customer satisfaction.
Machine learning has found many applications among e-commerce companies. They free time and resources by identifying data patterns and making predictions and decisions based on current and historical data. These positive aspects of machine learning products make them invaluable in several areas of e-commerce.
- Customer segmentation. ML solutions help organizations better segment their client base by characteristics. This process allows businesses to target various customer groups and categories more specifically.
- Dynamic pricing. E-commerce businesses use ML to provide the best product prices through deep competitor pricing analysis, customer behavior, and market conditions.
- Fraud detection. Modern e-commerce fraud detection machine learning tools help companies pinpoint potential fraudulent actions, protecting their business and customers.
- Inventory management. Solutions based on this technology help companies identify slow-selling products, predict demands, and restock information. These actions help prevent over or under-stocking.
- Personalization. ML products analyze customer behavior, purchase history, and preferences, leading to targeted ads and product recommendations.
- Supply chain optimization. With machine-learning e-commerce products, businesses better calibrate their supply chains by identifying potential disruptions, predicting demand, and improving logistics.
- Generative AI
Recent research made by McKinsey Global Institute claims that generative AI potentially brings an additional $2.6 trillion to the annual profits of the world’s corporations. Forester researchers believe that generative AI is one of the best technologies to invest in. E-commerce businesses will experience the benefits of artificial intelligence tools in the next two to four years.
Companies will spend on generative AI solutions thanks to their ability to improve the customer experience, revenue, and internal operations. They provide an effortless and effective way to recommend products, optimize prices, work as e-commerce fraud detection machine learning tools, and provide 24/7 customer service. Some of the most recent additions include virtual try-ons and visual search applications.
- Voice Purchases
According to a recent study conducted at Meticulous Market Research, the global voice recognition market will rise to $26.8 billion by 2025. 1 in 4 buyers shop via voice input from their smart devices. MMR experts predict that digital voice assistants will exceed the world’s human population, reaching 8.4 billion.
By the end of 2023, worldwide e-commerce transactions made with these solutions will reportedly reach $19.4 billion. Companies can capitalize on the growing phenomenon of voice purchases and invest in NLP and speech recognition technologies. E-commerce businesses should use conversational AI platforms to resolve customer issues and provide individual recommendations quickly. They must also focus on voice-activated assistants that use ML and AI technologies.
- Social Media Reach
E-commerce companies will continue improving their social media channels to reach an audience of over 4.9 billion people. The recent Accenture data demonstrates that by 2025, the market for social media sales will reach $1.2 trillion. This figure accounts for 17% of the 7 trillion spent on e-commerce products.
Worldwide, half of the buyers use social media to search for items, with 59% using these platforms to buy things. Facebook is the most popular e-commerce platform, followed by Instagram, YouTube, and TikTok. Among the machine-learning e-commerce products, chatbots and virtual assistants will be crucial in offering customer support, personalized recommendations, and competitive prices.
Machine Learning Trends 2024
In the coming year, the world of e-commerce will be able to take advantage of several trends in machine learning technology. These developments will dictate the future for many areas and years. Here are some of the best things to look out for.
- Federated Learning
This type of AI training aims to address privacy and data security concerns around AI solutions. The machine learning paradigm will allow models to learn from decentralized sources of information without tapping into accurate client data. Businesses can improve their AI solutions without putting sensitive information at risk.
- Empathetic Customer Service
Modern AI-based chatbots save e-commerce companies time, money, and labor in running their customer services. In 2024, these solutions will become more sophisticated, responsive, and empathetic. These updates to bots, virtual assistants, and sentiment analysis tools will make them handle more complicated requests, improving customer satisfaction.
- Multimodal AI
The first AI solutions could only work with text data to provide input. In 2024, businesses will work with products that process image and sound input types. Companies in e-commerce use these solutions to better inspect the quality of sold goods and give users an additional input source, making search results more accurate.
- Robotic Process Automation
In the past, RPA solutions could only work with programmed instructions. These systems will be combined with machine learning and natural language processing capabilities in 2024. E-commerce companies will benefit from this development as it will positively influence supply chain management and customer service.
- Sophisticated Cybersecurity
E-commerce businesses will bolster their security measures thanks to more effective AI products. The coming year can see a wave of e-commerce machine-learning cybersecurity products that identify anomalies, autonomously address potential threats, and find anomalies. Businesses will take advantage of secure biometric or behavior-based authentication solutions.
Machine Learning In E-Commerce: What Are Results?
Advanced analytics is one of the steps towards workflow automation of various aspects of the business. Let’s explore where ML brings and potentially can change online store operations.
Better Business Organization
Machine learning use cases in e-commerce are focused on workflow optimization through automation and increased efficiency. They help organizations at the early stages of the supply chain through demand forecasting, shipment planning, inventory management, and anti-theft protocols. ML models help establish and maintain dynamic pricing. They analyze the current competition, manufacturing, logistic expenses, and market trends to determine the best prices for different items.
E-commerce solutions made for business analysis are a helpful marketing instrument. They allow experts to make strategies from the ground up and adjust them accordingly. This makes it easier to follow trends and target the right audiences.
Modern AI solutions provide personalized and relevant ads to all users. With this approach, e-commerce companies keep their customers engaged, increasing conversion rates. Artificial intelligence products also help determine the best channels to run different types of ads on, improving their results.
Chatbots are the most widespread solutions used by e-commerce companies. They allow businesses to stay in touch with potential and existing clients 24/7 without excessive expenses on international customer support teams.
AI-based assistants provide extensive details on company services and orders when connected to CRMs and other management software. Machine learning algorithms used in e-commerce tools allow constant improvement in answer accuracy and relevancy.
Building customer engagement is easy when new, existing, and returning visitors to an online store feel that a company treats them like individuals. They should see tailored content suggestions and customized search results. E-commerce ML products transform search engines into personal assistants forecasting future customer needs.
AI tools analyze client buying history, previous search requests, and preferences. Accurately predicting client demands allows businesses to guide them in the right direction and increase the chance of sales. AI products assess location data, social media posts, and other information to make accurate product recommendations.
E-commerce applications improve item discoverability and customer engagement, saving time on search and providing a personal approach. Corporations like Amazon already use predictive models, leading to approximately 35% of sales from their implementation. They increase the number of returning customers by predicting seasonal and market trends.
Implementing AI solutions opens new opportunities for upselling and cross-selling products. Ultimately, they deal with purchase fatigue and let people decide which products to get faster. A customer who doesn’t have to spend hours roaming through item catalogs has a higher chance of shopping with an e-commerce business again.
Machine learning and AI have been instrumental in automating and streamlining business processes in the e-commerce industry. Should these forecasts come true, customers will have more ways to interact with AI solutions and find what they want. This will translate to higher revenue, customer satisfaction, and reduced costs.